Back in April I purchased the Lunette menstrual cup, and after using it for eight months, I think it’s time to write a proper review. The first time I read / heard about menstrual cups was probably 10+ years ago, and for some reason I thought they were disgusting and couldn’t even dream of using them myself. Oh boy, how I was wrong! I can tell you today that Lunette menstrual cup is probably the best product I could’ve purchased and I wish I did that ages ago!
What is a menstrual cup? As you can see, it’s a bell-shaped feminine hygiene product made of medical grade silicone (or thermoplastic elastomer – TPE) which is inserted into vagina. Unlike tampons or pads, menstrual cup collects blood instead of absorbing it. There are many menstrual cups on the market today and it might seem like a challenge to find the right one, but I was lucky enough to immediately find the one that suits me. Some of the brands I came across are Mooncup, The Diva Cup, Me Luna and Lunette.
After a bit of research, I chose Lunette because:
- I thought it was a good match for me based on their description
- it was available at my local pharmacy (I wanted to see how it looked like)
- it can be used overnight for up to 12 hours (BIG plus)
- it’s cruelty free (and vegan)
- it’s made in Finland (I have a thing for Nordic brands)
Lunette comes in 2 different sizes:
- model 1 – for women with light to moderate flow, or who are younger, or have not experienced intercourse; softer than model 2.
- model 2 – for women who have a normal or heavier flow, for those who have given birth vaginally or engaged in intercourse; firmer than model 1.
Since I’m not that young, have already engaged in intercourse and have a heavier flow – I chose model 2. My experience after 8 months of using it? Keep reading.